How To Configure Windows 3.1
1. Download Trumpet Winsock and extract all files to a suitable directory (ex. C:\INTERNET).
2. You will need to create an icon for your Trumpet Winsock dialer. To create an icon, go into File Manager. Go to the directory you extracted the files to and look for tcpman.exe. Select this file with your mouse (highlight filename). Place your cursor over the selected file and hold the left mouse button down and drag the file over to your desktop. Drop the exe file onto the desktop and your icon is now made.
3. In program manager select File - Run. In the dialog box type sysedit
4. Add the new directory to your path statement in the autoexec.bat file. This should be the first window after running sysedit. (ex. PATH=C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\INTERNET)
5. Close & save the changes to your autoexec.bat file
6. Close Windows and restart your computer for these changes to take effect
7. Once back in Windows double click on your Trumpet Winsock icon.
8. Choose File - PPP options
9. Enter your username and password in the appropriate sections, click ok and save the changes
10. Now choose File - Setup. The only thing that may need to be changed is your slip port. This should be set to your modem's comm port on your computer.
11. Save the changes and close Trumpet. You will need to restart Trumpet for your changes to take effect.
12. In Trumpet choose dialer - login, the first time you execute the login script you will be prompted to enter the phone number you wish to dial. If you make a mistake or wish to change this information simply choose dialer - setup.cmd.
13. When you see the words "script completed, PPP enabled" you have successfully made the PPP connection
14. Minimize Trumpet and start any other Internet application you may wish to use.
15.You should now be surfing the Internet using the PPP graphical interface.